Over the last decade, cities, counties, and states across the US have enacted innovative economic policies, but the challenge is enforcement. State and local agencies that are charged with labor law enforcement have an enormously important job to do. CIWO is working to address this challenge by facilitating a dynamic learning community among state and local departments of labor. Through webinars and community conversations, agencies are learning to share innovative approaches to intake, complaint and triage, investigations, improving collection rates, settlement agreement content and negotiation, joint employer liability and multi-jurisdictional cooperation, protecting vulnerable workers from retaliation, strategic enforcement and co-enforcement. Our webinars and communities of practice are developed in partnership with the Center for Law and Social Policy (CLASP).
Labor Standards Enforcement Series
To capture and expand on the information shared in the webinars, CIWO and CLASP created a Labor Standards Enforcement Series. Briefs in the series correspond to the webinars and provide examples of strategies used by various agencies to maximize their effectiveness, including how to successfully leverage partnerships between agencies, community-based organizations, and the private bar, as well as insights for advocates seeking to improve the legislative tools available to enforce laws.
- Strategic Enforcement Regional Training #3 (West) - Portland, OR - January 15-16, 2020
- This training brought together over 40 participants from 7 states to learn from facilitators & each other about how to scale up strategic enforcement efforts in their locality using the Labor Standards Toolbox framework.
- Strategic Enforcement Regional Training #2 (Southeast) - Raleigh, NC - March 7-8, 2019
- Strategic Enforcement Regional Training #1 (Northeast) - New Brunswick, NJ - February 12-13, 2019
- Strategic Enforcement Kick-off Training for Managers - February 25-26, 2020. Earlier this year, 70 managers at the New Jersey Department of Labor (NJ DOL) participated in a two-day Strategic Enforcement Training. This Kick-off Training is part of a larger ongoing partnership between CIWO and NJ DOL to scale up strategic enforcement in New Jersey. Read more here.
- Working with Community Partners on Legal Clinics (April 4, 2019)
- Labor Monitoring Strategies (July 26, 2018)
In partnership with CLASP, Janice Fine organized 5 webinars in 2017, that recruited participants from LA City and County, Santa Monica, San Jose, San Francisco, Oakland and San Diego agencies to participate in. On average each webinar included 100-120 participants from across the country.
- Strategic Enforcement (December 20, 2017)
- Strategies for Improved Collections on Wage and Paid Sick Day Judgments and Settlement Agreements (October 31, 2017)
- Investigations (June 6, 2017)
- Intake and Triage Processes (April 3, 2017)
- Protecting Vulnerable Immigrant Workers Against Retaliation (February 7, 2017)
Interstate Labor Standards Association Annual Meeting (ILSA) - August 19-24, 2018
Strategic Enforcement Planning Convening - May 21-22, 2018
- Interstate Labor Standards Association Annual Meeting (ILSA) - August 20-25, 2017
- Convening on State and Local Labor Law Enforcement - March 6-7, 2017
- Collaborations with the Center on Law and Social Policy (CLASP) - February 7 and April 3, 2017
- Surdna, CIWO and NELP Convene Meeting on Enforcement - July 18, 2016