Advancing Manufacturing to Compete in a Global Economy Project
In 2014, the US Department of Labor awarded a $2.5 million Round 4 Trade Adjustment Assistance Community College and Career Training (TAACCCT) grant to Clark State Community College (Springfield, OH) to reform its programs advanced manufacturing. The grant includes the following activities designed to strengthen the college’s programs to better meet student and industry needs.
- Develop and reform curriculum to create stackable credentials through modularized curriculum, development of new certificates, development of a contextualized approach to basic skills, implementation of prior learning assessments, and increased employer input in curriculum.
- Improve opportunities for hands-on learning through the purchase of new equipment and technology to create upgraded program facilities, and the integration of online learning and simulations in instruction.
- Improve student recruitment and advising through the development of a recruitment strategy, hiring a navigator to provide academic and career advising and conduct outreach through Job Centers, and creation of a more individualized intake process.
- Expanded employer engagement through coordination with the workforce system and employer engagement teams to gather input for curriculum, promote development of work-based learning experiences, and assist with job placement.
Rutgers Education and Employment Research Center (EERC) is participating as the third-party evaluator for the duration of this grant. The evaluation utilizes a mixed methods approach to gather data multiple perspectives on grant implementation and outcomes, including site visits and surveys of students, employers and workforce partners. It also includes a quasi-experimental analysis of student completion and employment outcomes. The evaluation examines in-depth each of the distinct approaches of the grant including hands-on learning, career pathways development, student recruitment and advising, and employer engagement.
- Evaluation of Clark State Community College’s Advanced Manufacturing in a Global Economy (AMCGE) Training Program Interim Report #1
- Evaluation of Clark State Community College’s Advanced Manufacturing to Compete in a Global Economy (AMCGE) Training Program Executive Summary
- Evaluation of Clark State Community College’s Advanced Manufacturing to Compete in a Global Economy (AMCGE) Training Program Final Report