The Center for Innovation in Worker Organization (CIWO) is leading and facilitating a dynamic project to “build the bench” of leaders from worker and community based organizing networks. This innovative leadership and organizational development program was launched to address the new challenges and complexities that have emerged in recent years for leaders within economic justice networks. The Build the Bench (BTB) initiatives seeks to sharpen individual and organizational effectiveness while deepening cross-organizational networks to advance shared economic justice goals.
- Get smarter with others faster to win bigger. Create trusting communit(y/ies) that provide a well of knowledge, experience, and practices that senior staff of power building organizations can draw from and contribute to.
- Build and deepen relationships. Create relationships of mutual trust and respect that foster individual growth, support organizational strength, and deepen interdependence in the movement ecosystem.
- Collective Innovation. Utilize collective brainpower and organizational resources to innovate solutions to shared organizational and movement challenges.
In July 2018, Build the Bench brought together a powerful group of senior leaders of national worker center and community organizing national and regional networks dedicated to fighting for racial, immigrant and economic justice. The gathering opened with a discussion about what the idea and practice of “Resiliency and Heart” means to us and to our organizations at this challenging time. Read more
Community of Learning and Practice
Build the Bench creates peer networks and communities of practice through convenings and periodic webinars that foster multiple connections across staff in similar roles from different organizations.
Participating organizations include:
Jobs with Justice, National Domestic Workers Alliance, Partnership for Working Families, Center for Popular Democracy, People’s Action, Interfaith Worker Justice, Restaurant Opportunities Center United, Grassroots Collaborative, Organization United Respect Walmart, USAS, PICO National Network, Gamaliel, United We Dream, Enlace, Right to the City, Center for Community Change, Food Chain Workers, Institute of Policy Studies, Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools, LA Black Worker Center Network, Workers Dignity Project, New York Communities for Change, Raise the Floor Alliance, National Black Workers Center Project, National Day Laborer Organizing Network, Centro de Trabajadores Unidos en Lucha (CTUL), Asian Pacific Environmental Network.
Convenings and Webinars
- Annual Build the Bench Convening - July 2019
- Annual Build the Bench Convening - July 2018
- Sexual Harassment Webinar - March 28, 2018
- Activism, Resistance, and Sustainability Joint Convening - August 7-9, 2017
- Summer Mid-Atlantic Labor Leadership Initiative (MALLI) - June 5-9, 2017
- Spring Mid-Atlantic Labor Leadership Initiative (MALLI) - March 20-24, 2017
- Panel: Women Workers and the Resistance: Harnessing Outrage and Building Power - June 9, 2017
- CIWO Retreat to "Build the Bench!" - July 20-22, 2016
- 2016 Rutgers SMLR Goldstein Summer Internship Program - Summer 2016