Rutgers University Society for Human Resource Management (RU SHRM) “addressed the business of HR” during its 12th annual business conference held on April 8, 2016 at Rutgers’ Livingston Student Center. More than 200 HR professionals, School of Management and Labor Relations (SMLR) students, professors, and alumni attended the event to listen as guest speakers gave insight into HR’s future.
RU SHRM President Niki Patel, RU SHRM Faculty Advisor and SMLR Professor David Ferio, and SMLR Human Resource Management (HRM) Department Chair David Allen gave the opening remarks.
“SMLR serves as a hub for scholars, students, and practitioners to advance HR,” said Professor Allen, who emphasized SMLR’s role in creating a bridge between students and the HR business community.
Dr. Paul Sparrow, British Professor of HR and expert in the “future of HR,” outlined HR strategies and encouraged conversations about HR in the business model. discussed ways in which employers can get their workforce to believe in their strategy.
“How do you get the workforce to believe in your strategy? We need HR more than ever before,” said Dr. Sparrow.
Additional guest speakers included:
- Dr. Joe Jones, SHRM Executive
- Peter Vermeulen, CHRO, Americas, Linde Corporation
- Martin Everhart, CHRO, Robert Wood
- Suzanne McAndrew, Managing Director, Talent and Rewards, Willis Towers Watson
- Anna W. Marley, Senior Consultant, Workforce Analytics and Planning, Willis Towers Watson
- Alan Gardner, Senior Vice President of Human Resources, Verizon
- Asif Zulfiqar, MHRM ’09, RU SHRM former Officer, and Internal Consultant at Co-op Foods