CHAPTER 307, LAWS OF 1947
AN ACT to establish at the State University of New Jersey maintained by the Trustees of Rutgers College in New Jersey an Institute of Management and Labor Relations, to prescribe the purpose and manner of its operation and to provide an appropriation therefor.
BE IT ENACTED by the Senate and General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:
1. The purpose of this act is to promote harmony and co-operation between management and labor, and greater understanding of industrial and labor relations, thereby to enhance the unity and welfare of the people of the State.
2. There is hereby established at the State University of New Jersey maintained by the Trustees of Rutgers College in New Jersey an Institute of Management and Labor Relations.
3. (a) The institute shall establish at convenient centers throughout the State programs of instruction designed to achieve the purposes set forth in paragraph one, and to bring about among management, labor and the public better understanding of their mutual problems and obligations.
(b) These programs of instruction may consist of instruction given in classes, or by means of lectures, conferences, institutes, demonstrations, forums or other informal educational services found to be particularly effective in teaching adults.
(c) Tuition for all instruction in the Institute of Management and Labor Relations shall be free to residents of New Jersey, but the State University of New Jersey may establish a registration fee or other incidental fees in connection with the operation of such educational activities.
4. The institute shall establish programs of research in the field of management and labor relations in order to develop new material and techniques to aid in carrying on the educational activities required by this act, and otherwise to carry out its purposes.
5. The State University of New Jersey shall appoint an advisory council for the Institute of Management and Labor Relations consisting of representatives of labor, management and the public, in equal numbers. The advisory council shall advise the State University of New Jersey as to the manner of carrying out the purposes of this act. Members of the advisory council shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses.
6. The State University of New Jersey is authorized to expend such sums, not exceeding fifty thousand dollars ($50,000.00), as may be necessary to carry out the requirements of this act, from any appropriation heretofore or hereafter made to the State University of New Jersey.
7. This act is to take effect immediately.
Approved June 19, 1947.