"Whenever I need a book, an article or help finding a hard to locate source our Carey Library staff provide terrific assistance. They also help my students learn how to use both the Carey and the larger Rutgers Library resources. We are fortunate to have them."
Susan J. Schurman, Distinguished Professor
Research Consultations/Reference Assistance
Are you working on a class assignment? Are you trying to find information for a research project? Do you need help with citing sources or getting started on projects? Please feel free to contact the Library Director, Julie Peters, firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a research consultation. Research consultations can cover how to start a research project, finding the most effective search strategy, using features of Microsoft Office products such as Word and Excel, and/or any other question you might have regarding finding and using information.
Feel free to drop in as well. There will always be a staff member in the Library willing to assist you with your research and information needs.
Digital Access to the New York Times
As a student of SMLR, you can register for an account with the New York Times. Below are the instructions for signing up.
- Visit http://nytimesaccess.com/rsmlr/ and enter in your name, graduation year and school email address. Please note, that it must be your school email address.
- You will receive an initial email from the NYT indicating that your account is waiting to be authenticated.
- Please wait for the account to be authenticated. You will receive a second email welcoming you to your new NYT digital subscription. This may take up to a week to receive depending on when you signed up.
- Following the instructions in the second email, you will need to set up a password.
Facilities and Hours
The Carey Library houses four desktop computers with printing capability. We also have six laptops for students to use within the Library, also with printing capability. Group study tables, as well as individual lounge chairs are available to accommodate your needs. The Library is open Monday-Saturday. Please check the homepage for library hours.
Textbooks on Reserve
The Library has a small collection of textbooks that can be checked out. Depending on the course, some textbooks are allowed to be used outside of the Library, but most are to be used within the Library. Textbooks are currently on reserve for the following courses:
- Collective Bargaining:37:575:314
- Development of the Labor Movement:37:575:200
- Introduction to Labor and Employment:37:575:100
- Personal Finance:37:575:250
If the Library does not have access to a book or article that you are looking for, we can try to get it for you from another library. Visit libraries.rutgers.edu/services_borrow_request_renew, to search availability through Rutgers’s Library partners, or request an Interlibrary Loan.
Office Hours in the Janice H. Levin Building
The Library Director, Julie Peters, is available on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons (from 1pm to 4pm) in the Levin Building, Office 136.