Build the Base supports efforts to implement new distributed leadership and membership recruitment models. There is huge demand for information on how to create and embed a membership culture within organizations, use technology to enhance communication, and enable distributed leadership models, dues collection strategies, membership benefits, and small donor fundraising to ensure financial sustainability.
Build the Base, Grow the Movement! Training Program 2021
Click the flyer for more details & to register:
During the early weeks of the pandemic, as organizing shifted so dramatically to on-line spaces, CIWO recruited a cohort of fifty organizers from across the economic justice movement to come together and reflect about this moment and learn about cutting edge recruitment, training, organizing and leadership strategies through participation in Power Lab’s Nerdy Movement Study Group. Together, organizers from the National Black Worker Centers, SEIU, Jobs with Justice, Jobs to Move America, Peoples Action, United for Respect, Hand in Hand, Pilipino Worker Center (LA), Make the Road NY, CTUL (Minneapolis), Chinese Progressive Association (SF), Matahari (Boston), Voces de la Frontera (Milwaukee) and others have been gaining insights from behavioral science, learning powerful tools and lessons from movement organizations like Cosecha and Sunrise, and reflecting together about frontloading the organizational practices that facilitate recruitment and organizing at scale.
Based on the amazing response we have received and thanks to support from our close allies at the LIFT Fund, we're recruiting a second cohort. It's filling up fast. REGISTER HERE: https://learn.powerlabs.io/offers/TD4oirsv/checkout
Past Convenings and Webinars
- Build the Base Workshops (October 2020): co-hosted by PowerLabs/CIWO/The LIFT Fund and facilitated by Randall Smith of PowerLabs.
- Volunteer Recruitment + Mobilization: Online & Offline Strategies (10/7) shared how to recruit, mobilize, and retain volunteers using insights from social science.
- How to Design Tasks During & After This Virtual Pandemic World (10/16) focused on how to improve quality of volunteer work by designing better jobs and building a more motivated and satisfied volunteer base.
- Activism, Resistance, and Sustainability Joint Convening - August 7-9, 2017
- Session: Joint Union-Worker Center Campaigns; New Frontiers in Labor Organizing - June 2, 2017
- Gathering On Innovation In Membership Building - May 12, 2016
- CIWO's Membership Building and Income Generation Gathering - February 11, 2016
Adhikaar (New York), ARISE (Chicago), Brandworkers United (New York), Brazilian Worker Center (Boston), BYP 100, Center for Community Change, Chinese Progressive Association (CPA San Francisco), Centro Trajabadores Unidos en Lucha (CTUL Minneapolis), Grassroots Collaborative, Korean Immigrant Worker Advocates (KIWA Los Angeles), Instituto de Educacion Popular del Sur de California (IDEPSCA Los Angeles), Jobs with Justice, LA Black Worker Center, Latino Union (Chicago), Make the Road New Jersey, Matahari (Boston), Missouri Jobs with Justice, National Black Workers Center Project, National Domestic Workers Alliance, National Guest Worker Alliance, New Orleans Worker Center for Racial Justice, Organization United for Respect (OUR), Partnership for Working Families, Pilipino Worker Center (Los Angeles), Project Voice (Denver), ROC-United, United for a New Economy (Colorado), Workers Dignity (Nashville), Working Partnerships USA (San Jose)