1. NJ Assembly Bill, 250-A, 1947
2. Dean Albert E. Meder, "The University Providing Service To The People In An Industrial State," Text of speech delivered to the National University Extension Association, Thirty-third Annual Meeting, Chicago, Illinois, May 2-5, 1948: p.5
3. Alice H. Cook and Agnes M. Douty, Labor Education Outside the Unions (Ithaca, New York: New York State School of Industrial and Labor Relations, Cornell University, 1958).
4. Norman C. Miller, "Events Leading to the Formation of the Annual Labor Institute," Unpublished paper in SMLR Library, February 26, 1960, p. 1. Hereafter cited as "Events."
5. Ibid.,p. 3.
6. Meder, p. 6.
7. Rutgers Targum, November 18, 1925
8. Richard Dwyer, "An Examination of the Development of Labor Studies at Rutgers University, 1931-1974: A Study in Union-University Cooperation" (Ph.D. diss., Rutgers University, 1975): p. 92.
9. "Events," p. 5.
10. Dwyer, p. 97; New Jersey Federation of Labor 1930 Convention Proceedings, pp. 31-37.
11. Rutgers University Board of Trustees Minutes, September 19, 1930.
12. "Events," p.7.
13. Spencer Miller, Jr. and Ruth Taylor, The Pioneer Institute of Labor (Workers Education Bureau of America, 1945), p. 9. Hereafter cited as Pioneer Institute.
14. Oral History Interviews with Professors Harold Stark and Irving Kerrison, June 1994.
16. Dates and statistics for the ESMDT and ESMWT were compiled from their Annual Reports for the years, 1940 to 1945. The reports are located in the Rutgers University Special Collections and Labor Archives, Alexander Library.
17. Pioneer Institute, pp. 35-37.
18. New Jersey Labor Herald, October 1944.
19. A description of Vertrees' role in labor education at Rutgers is contained in a speech prepared by Professor Harold Stark and delivered by Rutgers President Edward J. Bloustein at Neilson Dining Hall, Douglas College at a luncheon marking Vertrees' 100th birthday, October 1, 1987. A text of that speech is deposited at the SMLR Library; New Jersey Labor Herald, April 1945.
20. Meder, p. 12.
21. New Jersey Labor Herald, April 1945; Dwyer, p. 142.
22. Dean Norman C. Miller, "Long Range Planning for Improved Industrial Relations," Unpublished paper, December 18, 1947, in SMLR Library.
23. Rutgers News Service Press Release, 19 September, 21 November 1947, 2 January 1948; Irving Kerrison, "Education for Understanding," Unpublished paper, n.d., in SMLR Library.
24. Home News, December 15, 1949.
25. New Jersey Labor Herald, June 1959.
26. Lewis Hermann to Rutgers University President Mason Gross, March 12, 1959, SMLR Archives.
27. New Jersey Labor Herald, June 1959, November 1961, October 1962; A short film depicting the groundbreaking ceremony was produced by Rutgers University and is stored at the SMLR Library.
28. "Gross Makes Pitch for Help on New Building at Rutgers," Newark News,June 12, 1964; Deposited in the SMLR Archives is a brochure entitled, To the Friends of Glen Gardnier, which solicited donations for the proposed building; Rutgers University, A Manifesto from Rutgers—The State University to Leaders of New Jersey Industry, n.d.,in SMLR Archives.
29. "Rutgers University Names Building for I.T.U.'s Lewis H. Hermann," Labor News, January 14,1965.
30. "State AFL-CIO Cancels Institute," Willingboro (N.J.) Times, July 31, 1964; "Lacking Funds, AFL-CIO Quits '65 Institute," New Jersey Labor Herald, July 1965.
31. Institute of Management and Labor Relations, 25th Anniversary: 1947-1972, Commemorative brochure in SMLR file.