Labor Studies & Employment Relations

Choosing a B.A. or B.S. Degree

The Bachelor of Arts in Labor Studies and Employment Relations (B.A.) is a joint degree between the School of Management and Labor Relations (SMLR) and the School of Arts and Sciences (SAS).

The Bachelor of Science in Labor and Employment Relations (B.S.) is granted solely by the School of Management and Labor Relations.

Although these two degrees are very similar, their general education requirements, major requirements, and student policies are somewhat different. Because of this, you may find that one of these degrees meets your individual needs better than the other.

Bachelor of Arts


Bachelor of Science


You are a School of Arts and Sciences student

If you are already admitted to the School of Arts and Sciences, we recommend staying in that school and applying to the School of Management and Labor Relations to major in Labor Studies and Employment Relations. This will place you in the B.A. program.

The major is flexible and applying is easy

With fewer required courses, you have more opportunity to study what YOU find intriguing or valuable (see below for major requirements). It is also easy to apply and can be done at any time (although we suggest you apply as early as possible).

You can keep your options open

The School of Arts and Sciences is a great school that offers students maximum flexibility. Staying in SAS gives you more options if you decide on another academic direction. You cannot change majors if you leave SAS and pursue the B.S. degree.

You are a transfer student or a nontraditional student

The B.S. program has a number of elements that may appeal to you if you are a working professional or employed many hours a week, attend an off-campus program, have attended multiple colleges, or are returning to Rutgers after being out of school. If one of these descriptions sounds like you, the B.S. program has been specifically designed to help meet your needs.

You will have flexibility in requirements outside the major

B.S. students may elect to do a minor (or a second major), but it is optional. The Human Resource Management minor and all other minors offered by SAS are open to B.S. students.

If you work, we work with you

SMLR encourages all students who are working many hours a week to select part-time status, whatever their age. We also make it easy to move back and forth between full-time and part-time study—or to be out of school for a semester and then return.


How else is the B.A. and B.S. Different?

  • The B.S. requires that all graduates have work experience or successfully complete an internship, but the B.A. does not (although it requires a capstone experience).
  • The B.S. requires that all graduates successfully complete a class in Employment Law (37:575:315) while the B.A. does not. This class is offered as an elective for students in the B.A. program.
  • The B.S. requires that all graduates successfully complete a research methods/statistics course while the BA does not. Again, this is an elective in the B.A. program.

Differences in General Education Requirements:

  • The B.S. requires that all graduates successfully complete one history course, while the B.A. does not.
  • The B.S. program accepts many classes from other colleges toward particular general education categories. This makes it easier for transfer students without an AA or AS (or those with an AAS) to earn a Rutgers degree.
  • The B.S. program has fewer general education requirements because majors study 21st Century issues and learn information technology skills as part of their major.

How Do I Change?

Between SAS and SMLR
Changing from the B.A. to the B.S. is straightforward. You need to apply for a “School to School” transfer. You will need to submit both a re´sume´ and a brief statement explaining why you want to transfer. Admission is competitive and you should be a junior before you apply.

Between Other Rutgers Schools and SMLR
We suggest students from other schools at Rutgers apply to the B.S. program. SMLR admits students from other Rutgers schools using the same academic standards that apply to students from outside colleges. We attempt to have you graduate in a timely fashion but you will need to meet our major and general education requirements.

Who to Talk To

You can contact Credit Director Professor Paula Voos by telephone at 848-932-1748 to talk about these issues.  Her email is if you need to set up an appointment.